Thesis Self Questionnaire  

Getting on the path for a successful thesis year ahead. This questionnaire below helps me to focus my attention and clear my thoughts about my intention for the journey ah

        Figure 1 - Photo of a waterfall at the Buttermilk Falls State Park, Ithica, New York. By Oliver Hadi.


  1. What is my question? 

    Is it possible to address social and environmental problems with the same architectural solution?

  2. What do I want to research?

    I want to investigate the problems of public housing in New York City and address them while designing for climate change mitigation and resiliency.

  3. Why?

    I truly believe that our society, the ecology, and politics coexist in an intertwined and interdependent way, therefore, it is best to investigate all to find the right solutions. As far as politics, there is very little an architect can do, but architecture has the potential to influence the social and ecological environment.

  4. What problem do I want to solve or suggestion a better solution?

    I want to propose a more economical and sustainable option for both public and affordable housing while designing an eco-effective and resilient building for the future.

  5. What kind of site do I want to work on? Urban, Rural, Suburban, Flat, Hilly, hot, cold, wet, water near-by, 

    I want to work on an urban site within New York City that is challenging within a post redline community that has been neglected and is vulnerable to gentrification.

  6. What type of neighbors?

    The neighbors could be residential or commercial with a need for development in their community.

  7. What typologies are near-by?

    Mostly low- and mid-rise residential and commercial type buildings are near-by.

  8. What do you need to support your project – neighborhood amenities?

    Data from past public/affordable housing and green building approaches that would identify the insufficient solutions; to poverty, education, crime, and climate change; and could justify my proposed project as a valid and realistic approach.

  9. What type of support will you need/want? – faculty, consultants, outside architects, landscape architects, engineers…. 

    Will need expertise with public housing, residential apartment interior design, materials, prefabrication, performance design and analysis, and cost estimation.

  10. What type of building materials may you research for your project?

    My research will include non-toxic and renewable materials, such as mass timber, other timber products, wool, hemp, and others alike.

  11. Will your thesis engage you for an entire year?

    Yes!

  12. Will it challenge you?

    Yes, it will be a challenge to finish it all within the allowed 1 year.

  13. Will it make you happy?

    Yes, I thrive on challenging and technical issues. I find it enjoyable to be able to find possible solutions to everyday problems.

  14. Will it allow you to see “Architecture” from your own eyes?

    I hope so! When I learn about new things that don’t work and are negatively affecting society and our planet, I feel the need to break away from the status quo and think of creative ways to find the way to a sustainable future. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog